At the recent Programmatic TV Summit, Lance Neuhauser CEO of 4C, referred to Amazon, Apple, Netflix and other such companies as the horseman of the TV apocalypse. The growth of OTT streaming services is made readily apparent when looking at the success of original shows. The mere fact that House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are entering their 5th seasons, shows the incredible growth of original content. Releasing House of Cards around the same time as Kevin Spacey hosting the Tony awards, was an extremely shrewd marketing strategy. Amazon and Hulu ran a combined 181 unique video ads, another example of how strong their marketing is, both in terms of content and funding. Take a look below to see how the rest of OTT field marketed their product over the last few weeks.
- Amazon made a massive push in the digital space over the past three weeks. Overall they advertised on 141 sites. The heaviest concentration went to Catastrophe and Bosch.
- In the TV space, Hulu advertised Fear the Walking Dead on 29 channels and The Handmaid’s Tale on 20. Next closest was Netlfix’s House of Cards, starring Kevin Spacey, host of this year’s Tony Awards.
- Seeso marketed Hidden America with Jonah Ray on 23 sites. It is a parody travel show, and its second season came out in May. The protagonist, Ray, is joined by Anthony Bourdain and Joel Hodgson to name a few.
- American Elements (CarbonTV), Roadkill (Motor Trend), and Super Fan Builds (go90) were the top advertised show on their respective providers.
- June represents a big month for Netflix with two of its flagship shows, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, entering their fifth seasons. This longevity shows just how far OTT has come.